Saturday, July 18, 2009

Food & Friends

Whew- what a week! I'm finally able to sit down and work on those photos I thought were lost. The ones showing how I make the Hashbrown Casserole that I fixed when my daughter and her oldest friend were here a few weeks ago. This is daughter and (pregnant) friend:

This is how long they've known each other:

That alone is cause for celebration and cooking, in my opinion! Plus the fact that I don't get to cook nearly as much now that my kids live far away from home. So, for this occasion I fixed a brisket, Hashbrown Casserole, Asian Coleslaw, fresh fruit and rolls. And set a pretty table (because, again, I don't get to do this much anymore):Here is the method to the madness that is Hashbrown Casserole (recipe to follow):

Ingredients Chop onions and melt butter in skillet: Sautè onions until transparent then set aside to cool.
Combine the soup, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well:

Then mix in cheese and onions:
Dump thawed potatoes into a large bowl and add soup mixture and fold:

Place in a large, greased baking dish and top with crushed corn flakes:

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

This has become a family favorite of ours- and you will see why when you make it!

Hashbrown Casserole

1 (32-oz) pkg frozen shredded potatoes thawed
1/2 C plus 1/4 C butter, melted and divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream chicken soup
1 (8 oz) sour cream
½ C milk
2-3 C grated cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 C crushed corn flakes

Sauté onion in ½ C butter until transparent. Set aside to cool. Combine soup, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Place potatoes, cheese and onions in large bowl. Fold in soup mixture. Place in greased 9x13 casserole dish. Combine corn flakes and butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake 350 for 35 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your name if you are anonymous- thanks!