Monday, September 14, 2009

Lovely Lady



Life is precious. Family love is too. Sometimes it takes heartbreak to drive this point home with us. And after the wound heals and the throbbing from the scar eases we can find a peace and clarity. Maybe even an understanding of Gods powerful ways. That 20/20 hindsight is always helpful when enough time passes.
Today marks the 8th year of my mothers passing. Anyone who knew her remembers her as the sweetest and kindest of people. Her inner beauty matched her gorgeous looks. So now, if you will pardon me, I am going to indulge in showing off my Mom with alot of photos of her that we are so fortunate to have.

Born at St. Johns Hospital in June of 1928, Mom loved my dad, her girls, her grand kids and tennis.

She also loved fashion. We aren't 100% sure when it all started, but when mom was a Junior Will Rogers High School (class of 1946) she did a project for her art class:




At around the same time, this photo of her was taken: Right after graduation, my mother graced the front cover of Tulsa Magazine
I suppose she was, by this time, modeling primarily for Brown-Dunkin Stores. Mom didn't really do the "runway" type of modeling; rather photo shoots for publications and ads.




This was on the back cover of a TU football program- a great night time view of downtown Tulsa:

She began her freshman year at the University of Tulsa that fall of '46 joining the Chi Omega sorority where she was involved in so many activities.







Mom was nominated during this time as TU's Kendallabrum Beauty Queen and won. The winner was chosen by Lynn Riggs, author of "Green Grow The Lilacs"


She met my dad her junior year. Here are photos from some of their first dates:




My parents were married in February of 1949, my Mom's Senior year at TU. She designed her wedding dress and her grandmother, a talented seamstress, made it and all of the matching attendants dresses.
They honeymooned in Kansas City.



They stayed here in Tulsa the rest of their lives, raising We Three Girls:


She was such a fun, great Mom to have. We all miss her so much.



3 comments:

  1. Wow. Your mom was beautiful! It sounds like she was a really neat lady.

    I loved this blog entry. Not only was it cool to get a glimpse into your mother's life, it also gave me hope... Aside from my irrational fear of something happening to Harper (not likely), my number one fear in life is losing my mom (inevitable). Sometimes I wonder how I'll cope once she drifts out of my life. And so, to hear from a daughter who has lost her mother that there is a peace and clarity at the end of the heartache...well, that gives me great comfort. I'm just sorry that it comes as a result of your experience and loss, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind of you to say that Taylor- thanks. You DO wonder how you will cope, I know. And sadly, you cannot prevent the inevitable. But, my mom lost her mom when she was just 16 so that kind of puts things in perspective- that we got to have her as long as we did.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute to your mom, Nancy. May she rest in peace. She raised a wonderful daughter. - Renee

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your name if you are anonymous- thanks!