Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tie-Dying With Fabric Spray!

I have always loved tie-dyed clothing; the brighter the colors, the better. I had heard it was messy and a chore to do this, depending upon the dye and method you used, but I was ready to give it a try, nonetheless. So I began my research and subsequently came across this fantastic new fabric spray paint!



Could it really be this easy? Spray it, let it dry, wash/rinse and voila? Turns out: YES it IS that easy! I first went and purchased 3 of the cheapest men's t-shirts I could find at Wal Mart, washed and dried them. The thing that you have to learn by trial is how to fold/tie/scrunch/bunch/twist and shape your material to get the cool effects. I found alot of tutorials online for this and of course, the beauty of tie-dying is that anything goes, no 2 are alike and everything is beautiful ;o)

I shopped around to find the least expensive way to purchase this spray paint. I had coupons for JoAnns and Hobby Lobby I could use. The price for 1 can was the same, even at Wal Mart: $4.99. The price for the Party Kit was $24.99 at Hobby Lobby and I had a 40% off coupon, so I got it -mostly because it had a variety of colors (which I wanted). I then bought a can of the bright pink (gotta have that color!) at JoAnns using a coupon there as well.

I read all instructions and tutorials before beginning (this is hard for me to do, I like to just jump in and start creating usually) I put down newspaper, then a trash bag. Got out the plastic (or vinyl) gloves, then tried to figure out how I wanted to manipulate my material. You can use rubber bands, if you can find really big and small ones. I had to tell myself that this first one would probably end up being a dust rag, as I had read that too many colors on top of each other = mud color.


So I tried tying the shirt in a big knot, first. Thing is, I didn't see that it said to make it a TIGHT knot and I did the opposite (this is some form of dyslexia I have, I swear).

I had read that you really need to saturate the material:

And the spray really can make a mess if you aren't careful- it IS permanent too. If you get any on your hands, you have about 3 minutes to wash it off before it sets in. Use the gloves!!



So this is how that loose knot actually came out:


Not quite as I had hoped. I decided what the heck and just did stupid stuff on the back of it, which wasn't real smart because this spray paint isn't cheap:


You can, however, see how bright and pretty the colors are.


So I decided to try the swirl technique. It's pretty easy after practicing it a few times. I really drenched the paint on the shirt: orange on one side, pink on the other. And it came out pretty darn cool:


I read some more about this product and decided I wanted to try the black stencil spray and make an OSU t-shirt for myself (in celebration of the new season, etc). I copied the OSU logo onto some heavy card stock paper, then cut it out with an x-acto knife.


This time, I used a much thicker/nicer t-shirt I got at Sams for $5.00 I made the swirl design, picked up the orange colored spray can and.......it was almost totally gone. Oops. I had used most of it up on the previous shirt. So, quick! what do you do? Well you grab the 2 colors that make orange: red and yellow! And start spraying carefully. Then I opened up the shirt (and liked what I saw) and layed it flat on the plastic, then put down the stencil and put paper all around it (it does splatter a fine mist!). The stencil paint is quite a bit heavier and thicker, so it has to sit and dry for 24 hours; then you let it hang somewhere for another 72 hours. I then gently washed it and I love the way it turned out. This picture was taken through a mirror and doesn't really show the vibrant colors:



So the pros:

Easy, fast, FUN!

Cons: kind of expensive, a little messy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your name if you are anonymous- thanks!