Friday, November 27, 2009

I've Gotta Say.....

Learning how to use a Mac computer after using a PC for 14+ years is a challenge. I've been playing around on this for 4 days and am finally feeling comfortable on it. OK, not really playing on it; more like trying to figure out how to blog, edit photos, upload tunes etc.
I thought I was so smart; I have been using Carbonite to back up my files, photos and music for almost a year. I was somewhat smug that it would be a cinch to download those to this new computer. Yeah, well guess what? Carbonite doesn't do PC to Mac restoration "at this time"! I am always the one who has to do things the hard way it seems, and this was no exception. I had to download the files I wanted from the Carbonite website (where thankfully they all were) onto an external hard drive, then manually install them onto the Mac. Wow, that sounds so easy and simple. I guess it was, in the big scheme of things. It's just that doing all of this in the land of Mac was like being blindfolded and trying to follow someone. I did, however, have my trusty little netbook handy; it runs Windows XP and was my safety net during this transition.
I can say now that this is all so worth it. When I disassembled my Dell to take to my son, it was the biggest mess of power cords I've ever seen- nothing new to PC users though. This Mac has ONE cord to plug in. That's it. And everything else on it is as simple to use, once you learn the language- so to speak. Did I mention that I barely passed French in high school? Yeah, new languages are difficult for me but this one was worth every bit of my time. I am looking forward to a long, wonderful time with this new baby. I am in love.
p.s. Yes I do know that Apple stores have workshops for new Mac owners but I couldn't wait to start figuring this out and using it. Patience isn't one of my virtues. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your name if you are anonymous- thanks!