Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cake Pan Comparison

Last week Pioneer Woman posted a recipe,  mysteriously called Pig Cake.  It looked wonderful and I wanted to make it right away.  Since there are only two of us here at home I decided to make the cake in two 9x9 pans, so I could share one with my neighbors.   
I'm a huge fan of the Nordic Ware commercial grade pans and I have at least one of every size.  But, not two of the 9x9's.  My other one was a cheaper one and I figured this was a great time to compare how the two performed.  Was the Nordic Ware as good as I thought?  Worth twice the money?

The contenders- Nordic Ware on the left:


When placed in the oven, the one in the cheaper pan cooked a lot faster.  I had to take it out earlier. It also came out lopsided (click on photos to enlarge):



After cooling a bit, I turned them out to finish cooling.  You can see how much more "well done" one is. I believe the verdict was clear: the commercial grade performed perfectly (and you can buy it at Wal Mart, too!)  


The cake, however, was FABULOUS!  It truly is a "stand alone" cake that doesn't need the wonderful icing in the recipe.  But, of course, I made it anyway and it was also fabulous.  Here is a little insight into the origin of this cake:

It is usually called Pig Pickin' Cake.  A Pig Pickin' is a ritual in the south, particularly the Carolinas and in Georgia where a whole pig is roasted over wood coals (or in a barrel) for hours until done, when the meat falls off the bones and folks gather around and "pick off the meat"- hence the name.  Hush puppies, corn sticks, coleslaw and the usual barbecue fair are all served too.  This cake is a staple at most of them, as are some other cakes.  In reality, this cake should be called a Pig Pickin' Cake!

1 comment:

  1. I am *always* telling my mom to get rid of her dark, cheap pans! I agree!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your name if you are anonymous- thanks!