Monday, February 7, 2011

Catching Up

We had a blizzard here last week.  Got like 14.5 inches of snow followed by some sub-zero temps.  Not your typical Oklahoma weather, that's for sure.  What was even crazier was that a mere 3 days prior to said blizzard, we almost hit 80.  We were warned about this impending winter storm and I stocked up well, planned menu's etc.  I was also looking forward to more baking experiments  :o)

I wasn't quite through with making some of The Pioneer Woman's recipes and made this wonderful Cinnamon Bread.  Oh man, was this good!  In fact, it was so good I immediately took it across the street to my neighbors because I can't have something like that around here!


The last of PW's recipe for me to try was this Beef Stew with Mushrooms.  Awesomeness on a cold winter night.
-----------------------
Moving right along...... I have a large bag of dried apricots purchased at Sams in my pantry.  My husband is crazy about apricots so I sort of made up a bread using these along with walnuts.  It was a pretty heavy bread and came out OK - he loved it. (I'm not super-crazy about apricots).



Now, this Cranberry Banana Oat bread is another story- I am really loving this for breakfast!



CRANBERRY BANANA OAT BREAD

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch loaf pan with butter. Whisk the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl; set aside.
Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until smooth. Beat in the bananas, sour cream, and melted butter. Add the sugar, cranberries, and lemon juice; beat until evenly blended. Fold into the oat mixture until no dry lumps remain. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.  
Cut carefully with serrated bread knife.
-----------------------------------------------------

That was the highlight of my cooking adventures. The rest of the 5 days of being snowed in I fixed tried and true meals (comfort food) from my Cookbook  :o)   And I made more bread for the neighbors.  

The day after the blizzard I heard a loud noise on my driveway.  I looked out and saw this:


Yep, that's my neighbor- the one I take baked goods over to- clearing off our driveway.  I love good karma.......... and good neighbors.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your name if you are anonymous- thanks!